Your Google / Gmail Inbox is Full - What do you do? Here are some options.
Background: Google gives you 10 gigs of storage for your Email for free. Thank you Google! If you go over 10 gigs Email coming into your Inbox starts bounching, not good :-( Therefore you either need to upgrade to a paid Google Apps for Business Email plan, starting at $5/month per Email account, or delete some of the Emails in your account.
For most of us, we don't want to pay for a service that we are getting free, so we need to delete some of those old Emails.
Delete the Oldest Email Messages by Date
- Log into your Google Email or Gmail account (webmail), from your browser. You cannot do this from your local Email program, like Outlook.
- Use Google's Advance Email Search to find your oldest records.
- From your Inbox screen place the Date Search Criteria, in this format "after:2009/06/01 before:2012/4/11"
- Click the Search button
- You will see the total number of Emails found
- Click the "Select All" from the drop down listbox
- Click the Delete icon
- You then need to go to your Trash Folder and delete all Email. It may take 24-48 hours for the amount of free space to update
Delete Emails with File Attachments
- It makes sence that Emails with file attachements are taking more space than Emails with no attachements, yes?
- In the Search field, enter the following: has:attachment
- Click the Search button
- You can click the Select All checkbox and delete all Emails with attachemnts.
- If you only want to delete Email with attachements for a specific date range, enter this Search Criteria:
has:attachment after:2009/06/01 before:2011/12/31
- After you delelete these Emails, be sure to go to your Trash folder and delete all Emails there.
Empty Your Google TRASH Folder
- Even though you have Deleted your old Emails, you will not see a change in the amount of storage, because all of your Deteted Emails are moved to the TRASH Folder.
- Locate your Trash folder in the left column of your Gmail/Inbox view. The Trash folder will be hidden at the bottom of the column in a folder called "more.."
- Click the checkbox that selects all items in the trash folder. This will only delete the Emails on the viewable page. To include all Emails in the Trash folder, you need to click the link at the top of your emails that says "Select all x,xxx conversations in Trash ". Then click the Delete button.
- Now you will see the amount of used storage go down.
Delete Old Email from Outlook
- If you are using a 3rd party Email application, like Outlook, you do not need log into the Webmail version of your Gmail/Google account.
- If you are using POP Email with your Google/Gmail account, you can set your Outlook application to remove old Emails after so many days. You will need to consult your Email application help for instructions
- If you are using iMAP Email with your Google/Gmail account, you can search for the oldest Emails and delete them from your Outlook account. Because iMAP sync's your desktop Email with your Gmail online, it will automatically remove the Emails from your storage with Google.
Other Ways to Search Your Gmail account to Delete Emails
- Here is a list of Advanced Gmail Email Search criteria that you can enter in the Search field of your Email account with Google.
This video shows how to use the Old Classic View of Gmail to search for Emails by Date.