Many of us use Adobe Reader, and don't want to pay the expense of Adobe Acrobat when we do need to convert a file into a PDF. Thankfully, there is an alternative program that is free and will allow you to convert a file easily.
1) Go to: http://pdf995.com/download.html
2) Download "Free Converter"
3) Download "Pdf995 Printer Driver"
1) Install the Free Converter first.
2) Now install the Pdf995 Printer Driver.
Convert a File to PDF
1) Open a file. For example, open a Microsoft Word document.
2) Click on File > Print
3) From the Print window, change the default printer device to Pdf955.
4) Select Print/OK.
5) Select the location you would like to save the newly converted PDF file.
NOTE: Pdf955 offers other products and upgrades, but there is no need to upgrade unless you can't handle their splash screen for about 40 seconds.
Many have heard of CutePDF, and it is indeed free. It includes more abilities than the Pdf955, but it can also take a bit more time to setup and understand its capabilities fully. They too offer an upgraded version due to certain features not being available, however Pdf955 is fully functional (it just puts up a splash page).