If you have one of our newer sites, we use a server that disallows many things (for heightened security). One of those disallowed items would be to add a HTML or PHP page.
For many of those who secure digital files, you normally have a HTML or PHP page, and use a program that locks that entire page. There are many other methods available as well, but in any case, none of them can be used but one.
The easiest - and free - method to secure files is by way of WinRAR. This program is normally used to compress a lot of files, or just to create one file that contains many within it (for simplicity's sake).
Another great thing about WinRAR is that it allows for password protection. With this, you can easily secure your files and use them for digital downloads.
To download WinRAR and use its password protections for our sites, follow these steps:
1) Go to: oldversion.com
2) Scroll down and under Utilities WinRar should be present.
3) Click on WinRar.
4) Download the most recent version on WinRAR.
5) Install WinRAR.
6) Open WinRar.
7) Click the Add button up top on the right.
8) Click the Advanced tab in the window that pops up.
9) Click Set password...
10) Enter and verify your password.
11) Click OK.
12) Click on the General tab.
13) Click Browse...
14) Find and highlight the file on your computer you wish to secure.
15) Click Open.
16) Choose the appropriate Archive format (RAR or ZIP).
NOTE: The end-user will need to have this or a similar program to recognize and open these files. It is suggestable to add a link to where they can download the program if need be.
17) Click OK.
18) The WinRAR program will now RAR (or ZIP) the file(s) and will require the password set in #10 in order to open it.
NOTE: The RAR file will be saved in the same area as the original file(s) you RAR'd.
19) Login to your site as an admin.
20) Go to Assets.
21) Upload your password-protected RAR file.
You can now do what you like with the RAR file, and anyone who downloads it will require you to send them the password in order to retrieve the files within it.